Thursday, October 4, 2012

Hilton Head - Day 2

A photo collage of day 2.  

Today we planned an early morning kayaking expedition near Pinckney Island. Pete and I have never kayaked before so it was a learning experience for both of us.  I chose a double kayak for us so in case I got pooped out I could stop paddling and make Pete do all the work.  Smart eh?

This was our skills course as we navigated the grassy areas.

Look at that form!

It was amazingly peaceful.  We were the only ones out on the water and it was breathtaking.

Pinckney Island National Wildlife Refuge

 After a morning workout we found one of those "dives" like you would see on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives.  Well this one I found on trip advisor and asked our kayaking guide where to eat and he suggested this place - The Sea Shack.

They say it's where the locals go so it must be good.

Here I discovered sweet tea is gross.  It's cold tea with TONS of sugar in it. 

Yummm, my scallop Po' boy with fries, coleslaw and 2 hush puppies.

And Pete's Shack Attack - crab cake, scallops, tillapia, shrimp and oysters.  I tried oysters for the first time - icky!!  Not again.
After our HUGE lunch we went to the beach and for a pool side snooze.   That green roof is our hotel.
For dinner we met up with Allison, her dad, my friend Anne G.from Ontario and her daughter Alison.  We were lucky to have a car to go to this great Mexican resturant - San Miguel's.

I had the She-Crab soup.  A little spicy but oh so good.

Pete ordered the Echilada del Mar
 I forgot to take a picture of our dessert.  We shared a deep fried ice cream that we ate MUCH too quickly.  Are you sensing that we ATE lots on this trip.

We took a quick walk on the beach since it was getting dark but here are a few quick pics. 
The sweetest little bird that had a wounded leg. 

A protected turtle nesting area
Our hotel at night
Pillow Gift #2 - A night time snack
Are you liking the re-living of my holiday?  I am :)  I soo wish I was still there Wed morning when it started snowing.

Thanks for stopping by.

Cheers, 
K

No comments:

Post a Comment